Home Analyst Portal
Options

Links to the file Attachments in Email notifications

Mikhail_ScherbakovMikhail_Scherbakov Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Hi folks!

Most often, managers in my company use e-mail to approve review activities. Often applications have attachments, but information about them was not reflected in the e-mails. So they asked me to add this information. When I pondered this problem, I initially planned to simply collect information about attachments. My logic was this: the manager will see that the request has attachments and after that will follow the link and open this request in the browser. But it was not very convenient. After the transition to the form you had to find the desired section, focus on the attachment and click the open button. So I decided that it would be best to make a direct link to the attachment. Perhaps for many of you this will seem very simple and obvious. Probably, so it is, but initially I thought that attachments are stored in the database and pulled out of it by some tricky function. I was looking for this information here on the forum, but did not even find any mention of it. I analyzed the source code, and was very surprised at how much it turned out.

In order to get to the attachment you just need to use the link <PortalURL>/FileAttachment/ViewFile/<Attachment.BaseID>Well, then everything is quite simple. You can add this link in the e-mail template designer. For my taste it does not look very nice. Therefore, I extended the service request class and added a special HTML attachment property. A special workflow fills this property using the correct layout and after that I added it to the template.I hope that my experience can be useful!

Comments

• Options
    Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a great idea!  I just wonder what your HTML attachment property and the workflow does?  
  • Options
    Mikhail_ScherbakovMikhail_Scherbakov Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

When the Request is launched first in the queue there is powershell activity. It checks attachments. If attachments in place the code forms a small spreadsheet with links in HTML format and writes it to the custom attachment property. In email template I simply added a call to this property. In case the attachments was added after the meeting, I have a workflow that updates the data about the attachments in property.