Best way to add a selectable parameter to dashboards?

Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
This seems like something that the rest of you may have already attempted, so I am curious how you accomplished it.  I am thinking of creating a dashboard with several SQL charts that use bracketed params like "{{myParam}}", and I want users to be able to select the value for it and redraw the charts based on their selection.

My approach in my head is to create an HTML widget at the top of the page with a dropdown list, and have it add a querystring to the page for that param (refreshing the page, unless that can be avoided).  So if they chose "1" from a list, the url of the current page would be appended with ?myParam=1.

Is there a simpler, more elegant way of doing this, perhaps?

The benefits of doing something like this include not re-creating the same dashboard with different variables, letting the user quickly switch between views, and not cluttering the menu up with 50+ versions of essentially the same dashboard.  I would pursue this for any one of those reasons, let alone all of them.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to keep it as OOB as I can.  I have a couple custom pages and it is not only tedious to build them, but hard to explain to others how they are structured and how they work.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected though.

I'll proceed this way and see how it turns out!