Home General Discussion

How to create an incident or service request that is immediately closed

Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
Hi, I wanted to have the community's input on how to create a "fast track" incident for the situation where an incident or service request is resolved during the initial support call or at the service desk counter. Ideally I would want to be able to create an incident or SR with a minimum of hassle and close it immediately without manually passing by the "assign to me", "resolved" and "closed" steps. Is there something out of the box for this via the portal ? If not, which approach would you recommend ?

Best Answer

Answers

• Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    This was my initial idea as well. I'd create an Advanced service request with an SMA activity that sets the status of the parent item to closed. I just wanted to avoid creating double work if it already existed out of the box.
  • Tom_HendricksTom_Hendricks Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Primarily as an FYI:  If you wanted to stay completely out of the box, you could create a workflow in Service Manager to update the status of any tickets matching a certain pattern, once they are created.

However, I did not recommend it since workflows have a high performance cost, and are also somewhat limited (in the GUI at least--anything is possible if you are willing to hand-edit it in a management pack) in what criteria can be used and what actions can be taken afterward.
  • Jeff_LangJeff_Lang Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    we got around this by extending the IR class and adding a "ResolvedAtFirstContact" boolean, using a bit of js, we added a "Resolve" button to only new incidents not existing ones, this resolve button sets the ResolvedAtFirstContact Boolean, a resolution comment etc and then clicks the normal save button.

A backend SCSM workflow picks up any IR's created with this flag set and then automatically changes the status
  • Mikkel_MadsenMikkel_Madsen Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Totally out of the box you can:

For Incidents you can just apply a template which has the resolved status set.

For Service request you can apply a template that has one activity which is auto approved and then it will automatic complete when the activity is completed
    Thanks for the suggestions Mikkel. How can an agent "apply a Template" using the portal ? Our agents don't use the client console.
    @Stephane_Bouillon
    how are you starting you request - do you know right away if it is a quick close case or first late in the process? Do you use the "affected user" to create your cases? 
    Yes, my idea was to use an Advanced service request so that our agents can use this one to create an incident after they hang up or during the call. This would just be for reporting/statistics. No further processing needed.
    Ahh, so they are not analyst? So you will build an Advanced Service Request Offering to them? 
    yes they are analist, but for most incident types I created a Template so that they have guidance when creating the ticket as to which info is needed from the caller to resolve the incident. In order to ensure standards, they rarely use the default Template.with free text.
    Can you please provide some screenshots og step by step description on how your process is - just to make it clear to me :blush:
    How your analyst start when then phone calls and so on
    Analyst is logged in on portal. When they receive a call and determined that they are faced with an incident that can be solved immediately, they should create and save an incident ticket of type Express Ticket. There is an SMA Activity in the incident's Template that runs a PowerShell script to assign the ticket to the Creator, add a resolution comment provided by the analist in the request form, and sets the status to closed. That's what I'm planning to do, have not started coding the script, but have enough snippets of code to pull it off.