SCSM Out of Office - Prevent Work Item Assignment

Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Customer Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 23 in General Discussion
This is a request that's come up herehere from @Tom_Hyde and here from @Carol_Lee.

Clearly this demands some kind of solution and that's why it's the latest repository available on my GitHub with all the source ready to be viewed and modified at your discretion should you so chose. In it, a few things to help get you started:
  1. Management pack to extend your System.Domain.User class with Out of Office concepts ([true/false]OutOfOffice, [date]OutOfOfficeStartDate, [date]OutOfOfficeEndDate)
  2. Management pack to introduce workflows that will prevent Work Item assignment when the Assigned To's OutOfOffice property is true
  3. Optional PowerShell influenced from the SMLets Exchange Connector so you can set the OutOfOffice property across all users from Exchange into Service Manager. Wire for Orchestrator or SMA and then this OutOfOffice property can be set by simply setting your out of office via Outlook!

Currently, this will prevent Work Item assignment on the following Work Item types:
  • Incidents
  • Service Requests
  • Change Requests
  • Problems
  • Release Records
  • Manual Activities

Comments

• Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Adam_Dzyacky
    You're the hero!  You deserve the gauntlet!
  • Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Adam_Dzyacky
    You're the hero!  You deserve the gauntlet!
    Hes a Physicist!
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Customer Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 22
    Many thanks for the badge @Joe_Burrows
  • Jari_JuntunenJari_Juntunen Member IT Monkey ✭

Noob here. Does this work with scsm 2019? I'm having some problems getting this working.

I have the extended user classes with the MPs provided and when I change out of office to true in user form it shows ok. But in the users view all the out of office fields are empty. Also I can still assign a work item to user who is out of office. The user I tested with is a global operator in service manager, does that matter?

Hey there @Jari_Juntunen - haven't tested it out with SCSM 2019. But since the .NET dependency didn't change (as it did from 2012 to 2016) I don't know why this wouldn't work.

Well... that's not entirely true, the amazingly awesome @Gerhard_Goossens recently made a pull request to the repo that rectifies some issues with some of my original variables used in this. I tried to complete the pull the other day but for whatever reason it won't complete the merge. So while I attempt to sort that out, if you download the forked repo directly from him you should be able to reseal the workflow MP with the included key and upgrade.

• Carol_LeeCarol_Lee Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi @Adam_Dzyacky , somehow I just came across this thread today. Thank you so you much!! I will try the solution out in our environment. We are still on SCSM 2016.

Version 1.1 is now out on GitHub

This release contains bug fixes as identified by @Gerhard_Goossens. Thank you for your contribution!

While there are no new features with this release, nothing stops those from being added with more PowerShell for this script based workflow which you can freely edit with the SCSM Authoring Tool.