Home Service Manager

Increase Description length

Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
We just started sending Chat transcripts to SCSM via the Exchange Connector when we quickly ran into the 4K limit for the Description field.  Is there any way to increase the length to, say, 10K?

TIA!

Best Answer

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Answer ✓
    Sounds interesting. I think the second option sounds better. I expect the attached file is in a nice format for reading which might be better than the description box.

If thats not good, then option 1 could work, but I would probably suggest you write the contents of the attachment to a custom field, eg ChatLog which could be a 10,000+ long string and could easily be placed into a custom tab on the Incident form.

This would be a lot easier to read and more efficient for the portal to load.

Answers

Hi @Brian_Winter

This is not possible as the definition of the property is in a sealed management pack - System.WorkItem
    Do you want to explain a little more about what you are trying to do as I'm sure the community can come up with a solution.

Geoff

• Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    So we just started using a new chat tool that we can automatically email the transcript to the SCSM Inbox which our Exchange connector processes.  Those familiar with the Exchange connector will know that the email's subject line becomes the Short Description, the body becomes the Description (and the From becomes the Affected User).   

The email itself get's attached to the new incident, so the only possible solution I can see is having a PowerShell script parse through the email object and create Action Log entries for every 4K characters.  

OR make our process to include the following condition:  If the Description chat transcript is cut off, refer to the attached email for the complete transcript.
    Answer ✓
    Sounds interesting. I think the second option sounds better. I expect the attached file is in a nice format for reading which might be better than the description box.

If thats not good, then option 1 could work, but I would probably suggest you write the contents of the attachment to a custom field, eg ChatLog which could be a 10,000+ long string and could easily be placed into a custom tab on the Incident form.

This would be a lot easier to read and more efficient for the portal to load.
  • Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 on the second option.

I easily could see an SCO runbook attached to your Email Incident templates that does this initial data sanitization and then cuts the Description at just enough lines to include "please see related items for more information". You could also go one step further and flip the Source on those Incident's to be a custom enum such as "Chat". This way come reporting time, you have a clear separation of Incident types.
  • Jonathan_BolesJonathan_Boles Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    @Brian_Winter, just out of curiosity, do you mind sharing which chat application/tool you decided to go with?
  • Brian_WinterBrian_Winter Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
    We are now using LiveHelpNow.  Fairly inexpensive, but some robust features.  
    We finally just made the simple policy statement that if you notice the transcript is chopped short, refer to the attached email.  The only drawback is your complete transcript isn't 100% searchable.