Home Service Manager

Extending a class

Mina_SaidiMina_Saidi Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi Team,

Im working on implementing Change Management within Service Manager and Cireson Portal.

The current "Change Request" class that im using doesn't have the "Support group" option, when I go to add I get an error saying its not available in this class.

I have looked around service manager and I can not find where to extend the current class.

can this be done inside service manager or do I need to use the authoring tool? I don't have that installed and I haven't used it before.

any guidance on this will help.

Comments

• Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Mina

Support group does not exist on the out of box class for Change Requests in SCSM so the authoring tool will need to be used.

As this is a common scenario, Cireson have shared a solution they have created using the authoring tool so all you need to do is import the management packs :) (This customization also includes a Support Group Extension for Manual Activity)

This can be downloaded from here:
    https://github.com/Cireson/Community_AddSupportGroupFieldToMA

Cheers
    Joe
  • Mina_SaidiMina_Saidi Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi

Thanks Joe, that was very helpful. I followed the instructions and imported the management pack and created the support group in portal mapping but I still don't see the support group in change request templates.

I just realized I hadn't added the  .js file into my custom.js file. do I need to do that? im not using the MA support group just the Change Request support group.

if I need to do that, can I add it using the get script option? that's how we have most of our customizations, in separate .js files and then use the main custom.js to  load them via get script.

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    @Mina_Saidi
     You do not need to add any js. This is a legacy for much older versions of the Portal.

Do you want to use the function in the Portal or Console? The error you have shown is the console, but the screenshot of the mapping is the Portal mapping settings.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I would like in both ideally but if not then in the portal as the portal is where the analysts will be creating the change requests.

I have added what it looks like in the portal at the moment. I don't get the option to assign to a support group.

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Do you have the assign to group task on the right hand side?
    it doesn't up as an option in the portal, in the console its there on the template but when I select it it comes up with "task isn't configured for this class" could the template that I created be part of the incorrect management pack?

I have tried to create a new template to point it to the management pack that I imported, but I don't get it as an option when I select the class.

did I make a mistake when I imported the management pack? it comes up as Sealed. does it have to be

I have read the instructions in the "read me" and it says not to import the .xml unsealed version. How ever  I don't know how else to show "support group" for change request templates in the portal or console for that matter.

totally confused :(

edited February 2019
    Hi Mina

For class extensions you do import the sealed Management pack (The unsealed management pack is there incase you want to extend the class further such as add it to the console form, and reseal and import etc) you dont recreate templates (unless you want to set a default support group value). The new properties will show on your extended class (If you click the extensions tab via the console you will see the supportgroup property on the Change Request).

For this feild to appear in the portal you must create and add the new property to your form via custom forms as per KB:
    https://support.cireson.com/KnowledgeBase/View/51

Regards
    Joe

Thanks Joe, I tried doing that but when I saved the template and tried to open it it just sits on loading and doesn't open.

I reverted it  back to what it was, tried again and now no change request template doesn't load.

restarted cache builder, the IIS as well but no luck.

I tried to go back into the article in case  I missed something but I think the KB site is down at the moment.

any ideas? when the template.js file is updated shouldn't it load straight away? I must have done something wrong.

it looks like this now

every other template works fine.
    Hi Mina

This happens if you have a syntax error on the form (removing the custom form will let the form load and force it to use the default form). If you upload it here I can take a quick look.

Regards
    Joe

Its a long code so I attached it.

im using the code under D:\InetPub\CiresonPortal\Scripts\forms\templates

I'll take a look, just as a note though it should be copied to the customspace folder (That way you can always easily revert changes, and if you update the portal those changes are not lost)
    I initially did it didn't work so I deleted it from the customspace folder and it still didn't work. so I had a look at the D:\InetPub\CiresonPortal\Scripts\forms\templates location and I don't know what I did wrong in it.
    sorry - I think im totally confused with this at times. really appreciate your help
    Hi Mina 

You have doubled up on the first 24 lines, which will be causing it to not load.

Ill see if someone from support can assist to fix this up - but note customizations are not generally supported, might be worth looking custom services work if your really stuck and need to customize the portal.

Cheers
    Joe

Hi Joe,

This is all fixed up now. wanted to thank you for your help. couldn't have done it without you. :)

Kind Regards

Hi Joe,

This is all fixed up now. wanted to thank you for your help. couldn't have done it without you. :)

Kind Regards

Awesome - glad all is working :smile:

This discussion has been closed.