Home Service Manager
Options

Extended SCSM class limitations

I need extend SCSM class additional field, but I don't know are there any limits? For example: max or min value, max or min length for string, DataWarehouse normaly work with this?

Answers

• Options
    Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Extending classes allows you to add different properties to an existing class, or to even create a new class all together.

When you add a new property you have to select a type.

These can be things like boolean. integer and string.

Each of these have their own limits and each of them are supported by SCSM and Data Warehouse.

My advice:

Only extend classes when you absolutely need to.

Do NOT extend classes with generic String, Boolean and Integer properties to map to Request Offering user inputs, but rather use the Cireson Advanced Request Offering solution to map all user input in to the title and description fields, then for automation, read the XML property that is called User Input. This makes it much easier to understand and automate without adding huge number of properties to the class.

Hope this helps

• Options
    Steffen_DobritzSteffen_Dobritz Member IT Monkey ✭

@Brett_Moffett Please correct if I'm wrong. An other restriction is that we can extend the Change Request, Incident, Problem, Release Record, Service Request classes but not the base workitem class? And with respect to your advice the XML property UserInput is not stored in the DW.