External items in ARO list
Hi all experienced community members,
I hope this is not duplicate question in this rich forum and I'll get brilliant ideas and suggestions :)
Our customer has item list in external database and would like end users to be able to select those item(s) in ARO in the portal.
Usecase: select software to install from approved set of applications held in DB outside of SCSM.
I wonder what would be the best option, what do you recommend/use?
Some options came to my mind:
- using simple list. Pros & cons: nicer look (dropdown), speed; no multiselect
- manual maintaining of local copy of the list in the ARO Simple list (drowpdown). Drawbacks: error prone, work-intensive, far from real time updates, unthinkable in case of frequent/many changes
- running scheduled script: export MP with AROs, pull data from external DB, edit XML list items, import XML MP, restart CB. Drawbacks: could collide with other edits. Benefits: near-realtime data
- using ROQP (Request offering query picker). Pros & cons: search, multiselect; slow search, worse layout
- create custom CI (configuration item) type in SCSM. Sync items from external database using scheduled script. Benefits: near-realtime data
- using MP Enumeration List
- create custom list and synchronize items from external database to it (again script import XML MP). Drawbacks: would require extension to ARO/SR class for enum mapping, I never used this type of prompt
I caught code word 'datapoint' which could be related to this topic. Is it? Could someone explain in detail/point to some relevant sources? Thanks.