Home Analyst Portal

Promote invisble column of SCSM view

Steffen_DobritzSteffen_Dobritz Member IT Monkey ✭
edited September 2020 in Analyst Portal

Hi there,

is it possible that a invisble column of a view, where the attribute "IsVisible" is set to "False" (<mux:Column... isVisible="False") wheren't displayed by the promoted view?

The other way around, if I define a custom column in my view like:

<mux:Column Name="Location" Width="110" DisplayName="Header_LocationCI" Property="$Id$" DataType="s:Guid">

<mux:Column.CellTemplate>

<DataTemplate>

<TextBlock Text="{Binding Path=$Id$, Converter={x:Static configItem:LocationConverter.Default}}" Margin="0" HorizontalAlignment="Left" />

</DataTemplate>

</mux:Column.CellTemplate>

</mux:Column>

then this column won't be displaed in the promoted view. How to define a custom column that would be displayed in the promoted view?

Best Answer

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Steffen_Dobritz

This is a tricky question that I'm not sure I have an answer for but I can provide some context.

Promoted views are the simplest way to create views that you have already created in the console and know they work. However, they do use the SCSM SDK to make the query to SCSM. This is slow and does significantly impact performance. It also only returns the form data that is queried from the promoted view.

With some custom CSS or JavaScript, it would be possible to identify the column that is being created int he table and set it's visibility to False. However, as there is no defined naming convention for promoted views, it would take some navigation of the DOM on the page to find the column you require.

I believe a better solution for what you are after would be to create a custom view within the portal that replicates the same query used within the console. This new view would use SQL and therefore bypass the SDK and increase performance significantly. It would also enable your ability to name columns as needed and hide\show them as needed. It would also be simple to add or remove columns and relationships via a joined SQL query.

This would give you the greatest flexibility and control over the data shown.

If you would like assistance with custom view code like this you can reach out to your Cireson Territory Manager for more information about some consulting hours to achieve your required customization.

Hope this helps

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Hi @Steffen_Dobritz

This is a tricky question that I'm not sure I have an answer for but I can provide some context.

Promoted views are the simplest way to create views that you have already created in the console and know they work. However, they do use the SCSM SDK to make the query to SCSM. This is slow and does significantly impact performance. It also only returns the form data that is queried from the promoted view.

With some custom CSS or JavaScript, it would be possible to identify the column that is being created int he table and set it's visibility to False. However, as there is no defined naming convention for promoted views, it would take some navigation of the DOM on the page to find the column you require.

I believe a better solution for what you are after would be to create a custom view within the portal that replicates the same query used within the console. This new view would use SQL and therefore bypass the SDK and increase performance significantly. It would also enable your ability to name columns as needed and hide\show them as needed. It would also be simple to add or remove columns and relationships via a joined SQL query.

This would give you the greatest flexibility and control over the data shown.

If you would like assistance with custom view code like this you can reach out to your Cireson Territory Manager for more information about some consulting hours to achieve your required customization.

Hope this helps

• Steffen_DobritzSteffen_Dobritz Member IT Monkey ✭
    edited September 2020

... It also only returns the form data that is queried from the promoted view.

As I mentioned it does not exactly return the same data. In my example the custom column is missing.

With some custom CSS or JavaScript, it would be possible to identify the column...

True, I found a existing discussion about that possibility here before.

I believe a better solution for what you are after would be to create a custom view within the portal that replicates...

Is this a feature of the community editon or do u talking about cireson web services?