Home Analyst Portal
Options

Computer Deployed info in Request Offering

Alex_MarshAlex_Marsh Premier Partner Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

So it's really easy to show affected users their assigned devices when logging tickets due to the primary user relationship to the Windows.Computer class. What's annoying is not being able to display the data in the "Computer Deployed" class in an "aesthetically pleasing manner", i.e. by not having to resort to an additional query list prompt displaying the useful data, like manufacturer, model, serial number etc. This can be got around in the console views with some xml/relationship mastery but I'm struggling with how to work it out in the portal.

Basically I'd like the end users to see a single row/set of info displaying computer name, serial number, model, manufacturer based off the primary relationship which SCCM populates. I'm sure it's not as difficult as (I think) it seems but with the Windows computer being a child of the Computer (Deployed) that seems to be where I'm being tripped up

Answers

• Options
    Justin_WorkmanJustin_Workman Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2020

@Alex_Marsh - You need a type projection for Deployed Computer that has the RunsWindowsComputer relationship as a component with the PrimaryUser relationship as a component to that. Then you can point your Query prompt to the Deployed Computer class and have the criteria based on the PrimaryUser (whether that's from another picker or the token for logged in user) but display properties from the other classes.

I was able to make this work in my environment, but I did have to hack the MP the RO is saved in. When I initially was testing with the RO I wasn't getting any results in the query result prompt so I looked at the query criteria in the RO's MP and noticed a TypeConstraint for Microsoft.Windows.Client.Computer. I have no idea where this is coming from, but I changed the TypeConstraint to Microsoft.Windows.Computer, incremented the MP version, reimported, restarted cachebuidler and the query prompt started working.

I have attached a zip file that has an unsealed management pack with the type projection that allows for the above query criteria and a powershell script to make the above changes in the management pack (including re-import). I recommend sealing the MP.

• Options

Now that was my original thought. My only thought was ensuring the consistency of information, i.e. ensuring that the incident history is still visible from the all computers view. If that still works I've clearly worried about nothing!

• Options

I'm not sure I follow that. "Incident History visible from the all computers view"?

• Options

So when computers are assigned as affected CI's in incidents, requests etc, ensuring that when someone goes to look at the computer object in the CMDB that they can see all the logged incidents against that CI

• Options

Oh. It would be the Deployed Computer, not the Windows Computer. There's ways around that too I guess. But maybe targeting the Deployed Computer in the RO won't work after all.