Home Lifecycle Management app

Any way to migrate or import data from osTickets to SCSM?

Any way to migrate or import data from osTickets to SCSM? Has anyone neen able to do this??

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not but from the looks of it they have an API. So you'd need to wire up some PowerShell to:

• Get all of the tickets from their API
    • For each one, create a new Incident in SCSM

Some of this (working with SCSM, Incidents and PowerShell) is covered my blog series:

• alex_kokinalex_kokin Member IT Monkey ✭

Can you confirm if you can export the ticket details from ostickets and import them to the necessary table entries in the servicemanagement database? or must it be processed as a new workitem using the API?

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

I'm not intimately familiar with their (osTickets) API or documentation. Just a quick google search revealed that it exists. So I'm making the assumption that their API has a way to retrieve tickets.

Assuming it does, I would personally use PowerShell to get the data, shape the data, and then use SMLets to create Incidents. But you could alternatively use the Cireson Web API and then your PowerShell wouldn't have a SMLets dependency.

The point is - there isn't a wrong way to go about this if you can get the data out of the other system.

• Gerhard_GoossensGerhard_Goossens Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭

My suggestion will be to start over. Choose a go-live date for SCSM, disable osTicket for the end-users and redirect them to the SCSM portal. The analysts should then work through the backlog of osTicket until everything is gone and then everyone works on SCSM.

If you need the data for long term reporting purposes there are options. But personally, I wont clog my shiny new SCSM with data from the old system :-)

• alex_kokinalex_kokin Member IT Monkey ✭

I agree, but management wants it.