Home Service Manager

Service Manager Database Update Intervals

Sandra_ColeSandra_Cole Customer IT Monkey ✭

How often is data removed from the Service Manager database after updating a CI such as Business Service? 

For example, I changed the Technical Owner of the business service in the Service Manager console; however, when I ran my query, the previous technical owner was still there and the new technical owner. Does anyone know if Service Manager tables remove data updates made in the console instantaneously or at what intervals the records are removed? If so, can the interval be changed?   Attached is the query that I use.

Best Answer

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓

A few different things going on here:

• Service Manager regularly grooms Work Items out of SCSM. This is based on your Data Retention settings which can be found in the SCSM Console -> Admin -> Settings -> Data Retention settings
    • Service Manager does not groom Configuration Items (i.e. Business Services, Users, etc.). When you delete Config Items, they typically go to SCSM's Recycle Bin of sorts. Officially known as "Deleted Items" which is accessible through the SCSM Console -> Admin -> Deleted Items. There are ways to perform a "hard delete" which skips Recycled Items but this is typically done through PowerShell or the "Remove Item" task.
    • Didn't see a query attached to your original thread so I'm guessing what's going on here. But in short, when you make changes in SCSM, all of the history is kept. So depending on the nature of your query and where you are running that query against - you may have to modify it to say "don't show Deleted Items". If you were querying against the SCSM DW the value I believe is called "IsDeleted". This typically explains why you return multiple values when you're only expecting one.

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓

A few different things going on here:

• Service Manager regularly grooms Work Items out of SCSM. This is based on your Data Retention settings which can be found in the SCSM Console -> Admin -> Settings -> Data Retention settings
    • Service Manager does not groom Configuration Items (i.e. Business Services, Users, etc.). When you delete Config Items, they typically go to SCSM's Recycle Bin of sorts. Officially known as "Deleted Items" which is accessible through the SCSM Console -> Admin -> Deleted Items. There are ways to perform a "hard delete" which skips Recycled Items but this is typically done through PowerShell or the "Remove Item" task.
    • Didn't see a query attached to your original thread so I'm guessing what's going on here. But in short, when you make changes in SCSM, all of the history is kept. So depending on the nature of your query and where you are running that query against - you may have to modify it to say "don't show Deleted Items". If you were querying against the SCSM DW the value I believe is called "IsDeleted". This typically explains why you return multiple values when you're only expecting one.