Home Analyst Portal

Inconsistent Navigation when Saving a Work Item

Bryan_TaylorBryan_Taylor Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭

Hello Cireson Community!

It has been a while, mostly spent lurking on the posts... Good to see you all! One of our analysts is reporting some issues with navigation, specifically when saving or cancelling a work item. While I've not been able to replicate his trouble myself, I've seen first-hand some of the wonky behavior he's be expressing frustration with. Please note that we're using the free Community Edition of the portal right now.

He'll open an incident from the My Work list and either modify and save (or make no changes and cancel) and will frequently be thrown to other views, rather than being sent back to "My Work" as expected. Sometimes he'll be thrown to the "All Open Unassigned Incidents" view, others he'll be thrown over to the "All Open Onboarding Tickets" view, and other times he'll be thrown to a different view (you get the picture). There are 5 of us working in the portal, but I believe he's the only one with this inconsistency issue.

We've got a bunch of views under an "Incident Management" folder (including the built-in All Incidents view), but this one technician never ends up back where he expects. How can I best assist him with troubleshooting this?

Answers

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭

Really interesting one there @Bryan_Taylor

I would start to isolate variables to try and see where the issue happens.

Can the user clear all cache and saved data in their browser and try again?

Can this user work on a different computer for a day to see if it occurs there also?

Can they switch to a different browser? (Edge or Chrome)

Is this user part of a group policy that might be interfering with Cookies or Internet setup?

Can the user clear our their Windows Profile and try again? (Similar approach to working on another computer but could rule out or in roaming profiles)

Are they on a different network segment or physical location? (Not sure how that would affect it, but you never know)

Starting to isolate individual items at a time is a great way to get to the bottom of the Root Cause of any issue. At the end of the day the portal is just using it's history to know what view to return to. The GUID for the view does not change so if it is picking up some other random number (that just happens to match another view) then they will get returned to a different page.

If I was a gambling man I would say that because it is happening to only one user then it might be a profile issue for the user rather than a website or application issue.

Good luck

Brett