Rebuilding Connectors after Major Incident
A situation recently required the rebuild of our entire SCCM environment. Cireson is up and functioning, but largely as a standalone as all of the AD/Configuration Manager Connectors I've adjusted after entering new SCCM information, aren't running.
I've completed the wizard for each, to include testing the connection with my service account. Cireson eventually informs that the connectors are created successfully, but clicking "Synchronize Now" doesn't do anything. The new ones are appended with _Mac to differentiate them from the already-existing connectors.