Home Powershell Activity
Options

Anyone else having issues with PowerShell Activities getting "stuck" in progress?

Raul_NoaRaul_Noa Customer IT Monkey ✭
Occasionally, PSAs will hang indefinitely in an "In Progress" state. As a workaround, we find the ones that have been in progress for over an hour and set the status to "Rerun" and they always successfully execute on a subsequent run, usually in less than a minute. I've found these two variations of errors in the PSA logs for the ones that get stuck in progress, and corresponding errors in the workflow server's windows application event log.

Unexpected Error 1:  (most predominant for stuck PSAs)
======================================
3/28/2018 7:55:12 AM Invoke PowerShell Object
3/28/2018 7:56:56 AM PowerShell finish executing
3/28/2018 7:56:56 AM Printing PowerShell output to Output property
3/28/2018 7:56:58 AM Error excuting PowerShell
3/28/2018 7:56:58 AM The specified value did not conform to the maximum length requirements.
Corresponding Windows Event Logs on Workflow Server:
A Windows Workflow Foundation workflow failed during execution.   Workflow Type: Cireson.Powershell.Activity.Workflow.RunPowershellScript  Workflow Identifier: 81fd4086-4496-d1b8-1657-5dff1f7e25f0  Exception Type: Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.InvalidSimpleObjectValueException  Exception Message: The specified value did not conform to the maximum length requirements.   Exception Stack:    at Cireson.Powershell.Activity.Workflow.RunPowershellScript.a(Object A_0, EventArgs A_1)    at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.Activity.RaiseEvent(DependencyProperty dependencyEvent, Object sender, EventArgs e)    at System.Workflow.Activities.CodeActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)    at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutor`1.Execute(T activity, ActivityExecutionContext executionContext)    at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)    at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

Unexpected Error 2: (less common, but also seen with stuck PSAs)
3/28/2018 10:09:38 AM Invoke PowerShell Object
3/28/2018 10:11:18 AM PowerShell finish executing
3/28/2018 10:11:18 AM Printing PowerShell output to Output property
3/28/2018 10:11:18 AM Error excuting PowerShell
3/28/2018 10:11:18 AM Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.
Corresponding Windows Event Logs on Workflow Server:
Application: MonitoringHost.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.OutOfMemoryException
Stack:
   at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.DefaultWorkflowSchedulerService+WorkItem.Invoke(System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.WorkflowSchedulerService)
   at System.Workflow.Runtime.Hosting.DefaultWorkflowSchedulerService.QueueWorkerProcess(System.Object)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(System.Threading.ExecutionContext, System.Threading.ContextCallback, System.Object, Boolean)
   at System.Threading.QueueUserWorkItemCallback.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.ExecuteWorkItem()
   at System.Threading.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch()
Faulting application name: MonitoringHost.exe, version: 7.1.10184.0, time stamp: 0x522a23d5
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18895, time stamp: 0x5a4b1cf7
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x00000000000092fc
Faulting process id: 0x56f4
Faulting application start time: 0x01d3c60364f18230
Faulting application path: D:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center 2012 R2\Service Manager\MonitoringHost.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\system32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report Id: 53c029e6-31f7-11e8-811b-005056aa6011
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

By contrast:
Normal and Expected Error: If the script actually executes and produces an error we see a different type of error, as expected and the PSA changes to a Failed status.
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM Invoke PowerShell Object
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM PowerShell finish executing
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM Printing PowerShell output to Output property
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM Assigning ManuallyRunWorkflow to false
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM Powershell has error.
Cannot bind argument to parameter 'Id' because it is null.Cannot bind argument to parameter 'BySource' because it is null.
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM Start updating instance
3/28/2018 10:06:38 AM Instance successfully updated

I do have a support ticket open with Cireson, just wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel_Polivka1Daniel_Polivka1 Customer IT Monkey ✭

Oh boy, responding to a 6 year old thread. I also have this issue, randomly a PSA/Cloud Activity with a PSA will just hang In Progress. Here's an error dump from me if it helps. Anyone else experience this? I'd love to either know of a fix or a workaround.

Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.InvalidSimpleObjectValueException: The specified value did not conform to the maximum length requirements.
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Configuration.ManagementPackProperty.ValidateValue(Object value, EnterpriseManagementGroup managementGroup)
    at Microsoft.EnterpriseManagement.Common.EnterpriseManagementSimpleObject.set_Value(Object value)
    at Cireson.Cloud.Activity.Workflow.Classes.PowershellService.InvokePSA(EnterpriseManagementObjectProjection emop, Guid _instanceTrigerId, Boolean isConfiguredWorkflow)
    at Cireson.Cloud.Activity.Workflow.ProcessCiresonCloudActivity.OCAvC6tRY(EnterpriseManagementGroup , Guid , Guid , Boolean )
    at Cireson.Cloud.Activity.Workflow.ProcessCiresonCloudActivity.Execute(ActivityExecutionContext CiresonCloudActivityContext)
    at System.Workflow.ComponentModel.ActivityExecutorOperation.Run(IWorkflowCoreRuntime workflowCoreRuntime)
    at System.Workflow.Runtime.Scheduler.Run()

• Options
    Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

Hi Daniel,

I think your error is the Output property on the PSA / Cloud Activity getting too long. The next line to be written is pushing it over the max length of the field causing the

The specified value did not conform to the maximum length requirements.

Are you deliberately writing to the output a lot?

Geoff

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 22

@Daniel_Polivka1 I guess for the stuck Activities, there is a PR open. As far as I know, and based on the feedback, this happens when 2 or more PSAs are created the same time (or shall start at the same time, I don't remember correctly). We have the same issue and were thinking about a custom workflow to correct that - But I guess it is more save to wait for a official bugfix :)

We also have this issue with the max length error from time to time. And as written below I cannot imagine, that the output has so many characters in that particular script. But in our case, the script runs through, but as the output is too long, the workflow cannot set it to Completed. Do you experience the same?

• Options
    Simon_ZeinhoferSimon_Zeinhofer Customer Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭

@Geoff_Ross We have the issue with the

The specified value did not conform to the maximum length requirements. 

error in a certain Powershell Activity as well recently. The thing is, we only write very little information to the output here, so I cannot imagine being over the 65536 characters length. Might there be another issue?

• Options
    Daniel_Polivka1Daniel_Polivka1 Customer IT Monkey ✭

@Geoff_Ross Yes there is definitely the possibility of my outputs becoming quite large on this particular PSA. I normally utilize Start/Stop-Transcript on my scripts, but I notice the output for the PSAs only write to the Output tab, not my "saved off" location too as specified in the script.