Home General Discussion

Notification Display Issues, emails are "squished"

Tim_VottaTim_Votta Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
I don't think that this is related to notify analyst specifically, it seems like a general SCSM notification kind of thing.

I have one user (my boss) who get's notifications for tons of stuff.  When he opens the e-mails from his laptop, it kind of squishes together the table in our e-mail.  I can be CC'd on the message and it displays properly.

From watching it for a few months, we have been able to figure out that it only happens when he opens the emails directly on his latop.  If he is on his docking station (same computer) or his phone it does not happen, they display normally.  Basically, it gets super narrow to the point that it only fits 5-10 words per line.

Anyone ever seen this before?  A co-worker has the same laptop and Outlook version and does not have this issue.  I am pretty sure it is something with his system specifically, but I've no idea where the problem may be even happening.

Best Answer

Answers

• Tony_CollettTony_Collett Cireson Support Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    This sounds more like an issue with the resolution of the monitor you are using to display emails in Outlook. Try changing the resolution of the monitor up or down to match the native resolution. You could also try changing the size of the windows (using the sliders between the preview window and the email list).
    You could also try just opening the email by double clicking it. 

When you have small monitors, everything gets affected by this issue. Tables are notoriously bad for displaying information accurately as they are often tied to monitor resolution
  • Brian_WiestBrian_Wiest Customer Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me this really points to Email client side issue. I have seen this with specific users who use Outlook mess around with the normal.dot word document. As Outlook relys on Word for html rendering the user on the laptop updated the margins or columns or xyz. causing Outlook to render the html in an unexpected way. Recommend to Troubleshoot user/profile issue. 
  • Tim_VottaTim_Votta Customer Adept IT Monkey ✭✭
    So it appears to be along the lines of what Brett was referring to, at least somewhat.  We had the table width defined as 640, adjusting that to 100% corrected the issue.

I tried going smaller with 50% or something like that, and it formatted kind of crazy, our borders were doubled up and things were off center.

Basically, the problem was with our HTML.  It is still somewhat odd that it is only happening for 1 user (at least just 1 reporting it) as the same exact e-mail on the same laptop model does not have the problem for a few other users we have tested with.  I have not been able to test the same laptop having the problem with a different user logged in yet, I will test that further when time permits.
  • Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    These sorts of issues can sometimes happen with different patch levels or other software installed that overwrites some part of the HTML rendering engine.
    I would very much doubt that it had anything to do with hardware.
    The other thing that it can often be is a corrupted user profile.
    Try renaming the C:\User\<Username> folder to something else and rebooting the laptop. This will force windows to recreate the user profile and that in turn may forget some of the corruptions that can occur. (WARNING: Doing this will remove ALL the users settings like e-mail account setup, Password cache, internet favorites and history etc.)

I hope that these suggestions have answered your question.