Home General Discussion

Is there a way to link the objects in the tool using Cireson Asset Management app?

Vignesh_SridharVignesh_Sridhar Customer IT Monkey ✭

Is there a way to link the objects in the tool?  For instance, a server is a database server for an application running on a different server.  Can you link the two so that you know what applications are impacted when a database server is down?

Answers

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.
    Hi Vignesh,

For each Asset (Hardware and Software), there is a Related Items tab. In here you will see a section for Related Config Items and another section for Affected Config Items. You can relate the two objects via one or both of these?

Does that work or you?

Geoff
  • Vignesh_SridharVignesh_Sridhar Customer IT Monkey ✭

Thank you for your reply Geoff.

Once I open the asset.. under Related items we have configuration items:Computers, Services and People. If we add our other server details, Will a link be established ? Is there a KB for this? Or will Related Assets be a better option to link the two CI? I could not find the Affected config items tab.

Thank you for your help.

• Brett_MoffettBrett_Moffett Cireson PACE Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Vignesh_Sridhar
    Either Related Items or Related Assets will work for what you want so long as you remain consistent with your approach for all of these type of items.

Another way to go about what you are after is to use Business Services.
    This way you can link many items, Computers, Users, Assets, other services etc. all in to the one Business Service.

An example of this could be your SCSM environment. A Business Services called SCSM Infrastructure could contain the Computers that are running the Management Servers, the Database hosting the DB and DW, a user account that the services are running as etc. etc.

This all comes down to how you want to use this information in the future.
    If it is for reference only, I'd suggest the Business Services approach.
    If it is for automation, the related items are better. (Easier to retrieve the info)

Hope this is of some help.