Home Self-Service Portal - Community

Moved the database to new server and service won't start

We moved the servicemanagement database to a new SQL server and now the cachebuilder service won't start.   Does this require a reinstall of the Cireson portal?

Service cannot be started. System.Data.Entity.Core.EntityException: The underlying provider failed on Open. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Cannot open database "servicemanagement2" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'xxxxxxDOM01\Service-CiresonCB2'.

Comments

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cachebuilder's source db is determined during the installation however if I'm not mistaken you should be able to update the path via this file:

C:\inetpub\CiresonPortal\bin\Cireson.CacheBuilder.WindowsService.exe.config

• john_doylejohn_doyle Cireson Support Ninja IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭
    You should run the installer again. While you could manually correct the connection strings in the cache builder's config files and in the web.config file, the dashboards also store the connection strings to the data sources in the database and these are encrypted. The only way (or certainly the easiest) way to update these strings is by running the installer.
  • Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also check you have granted the service account Service-CiresonCB2 permissions to the new SQL service instance: 

• jefflandersjefflanders Member IT Monkey ✭
    Yes.  The service acct is dbowner.   The problem seems to be that the connection strings are not updated even after several reinstalls/reboots, etc.   In IIS the connection strings are still pointing at the old databases.  Do I need to delete the Cireson Portal site in IIS to get it repopulated?

I should be more clear.  The service starts and everything looks OK but I can't login because the connection strings still point at 1001 instead of cs33.  An uninstall doesn't seem to remove these entries.  Do I need to manually delete this and then rerun the install?

I think we have a handle on this problem.  Thank you for your efforts.
This discussion has been closed.