Catalog items vs Make/Model

Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer IT Monkey ✭
Hi,

I'm wondering how to best use the catalog item functionalities. Should I have a catalog item for every make/model of pc in my environment ? I understand the catalog is for use in service requests, so in fact I would rather just have a few catalog items, like standard desktop Pc, standard laptop, etc... but the make and model of what is a standard device changes over time. As the model is part of the properties of a catalog item, I don't see how I could link catalog items to hardware assets if there are different models for what is a "standard laptop".

On the other hand, I don't want to offer a catalog list of outdated items in the service request.

Best Answer

Answers

• Stephane_BouillonStephane_Bouillon Customer IT Monkey ✭
    Thank you Geoff for your extensive answer. Why would you choose to have another item type than "Computer" for subtypes desktop, laptop, etc... ? Doesn't that add a layer of complexity ? What is the benefit ?
  • Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to provide a better understanding of the asset estate. Eg
    • How many laptops do we have in total?
    • We need to provide home working functionality for Accounts Department. How many of them use a Desktop?
    • What percentage of senior management have a Windows tablet?

It adds complexity to the configuration I guess but not much. Using the Catalog Items means it adds no complexity to process because it will happen automatically.