Home Analyst Portal

Will re-install of Cireson portal with same ServiceManagement db name cause data loss?

Daniel_HeggieDaniel_Heggie Customer IT Monkey ✭

Hi there, i'm needing to re-install Cireson portal to apply a renewed SSL certificate for the site, as when applying the cert directly in IIS only, the binding keeps being removed each time the Platform Cache service is restarted. (I've also tried removing the old certificate from the computer store before updating in IIS, but when i do this, it just reverts the selected SSL certificate in the IIS https 443 binding to 'Not selected' after the Platform Cache Service is restarted). I've also tried restarting IIS, the Cache Builder, Platform Cache, and all SCSM services after updating the new cert in IIS, but the result is the same. I've also followed the instructions on the 'Setup SSL for Cireson Platform', and updated the platform_Cache.config file with the new cert's thumbprint, but it doesn't resolve the issue. It has been suggested to re-install the Cireson portal with the new cert, that will resolve the issue. My question is, when i do this, i use all the same config details, ie. ServiceManagement database name, and when i get to the end, it says database with this name already exists, are you sure you want to over wright it? If i say yes, will it cause any data loss, or will it have data resynced from the main ServiceManager database once the Cache Builder/Platform Cache services are restarted? It is a preprod environment, so i need to understand this process before updating production in Nov/Dec. I believe the portal was maybe installed with no certificate initially, but then one was applied after, potentially causing this behaviour.

Answers

• Geoff_RossGeoff_Ross Cireson Consultant O.G.

Hi Daniel,

No, this is the upgrade process; to install a new version with the same DB name.
    You are doing the same but with the same version.
    https://kb.cireson.com/article/install-cireson-portal-installation-and-upgrade-instructions/1349

Geoff