Home Service Manager

Work Item IDs Increments by Hundreds or Thousands

Raymond_DidonatoRaymond_Didonato Customer IT Monkey ✭

A recent issue that has developed in our SCSM 2016 environment is that our work items are jumping a large number of IDs with each new work item. I originally thought it might be a Cireson Portal issue, but it turned out that the issue also occurred when something was created directly from the Console.

We've had the environment up for about a year and a half, and until then, our IDs were about 300k. In the last week, we're now up to 600k+ without any increased workload. In fact, I would say it's very much decreased because not many people are accessing the system during this difficult time.

I opened up a support case with Microsoft, and they basically said that something in our configuration was causing the issue. They showed me in the database where the increment should be behaving normally, but then watched with me as the next work item jumped 4000 IDs. Has anyone ever experienced this or have any ideas on what I could check for that is consuming all of these work item IDs?

Answers

• Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

Have you examined those 4000 sequential IDs? Do they have any relation to one another? I just feel as though there is some kind of common "shape" they all must be fitting. For example/I'm typing out loud here:

• They all come from the same Affected User
    • They all are Created By the same user (e.g. the workflow account)
    • They have some Work Item to Work Item relationship with one another (i.e. some template has a nested template, that spawns others).
    • The jump happens every 5 or 10 minutes (if there is an identified frequency it almost points to a workflow/connector)