Home Analyst Portal
Options

Portal - Multiple Versions Same DB?

Brad_McKennaBrad_McKenna Customer Advanced IT Monkey ✭✭✭
edited August 2016 in Analyst Portal

Curious to see how many / if people run Multiple Versions of Cireson Portal using the same database. Either in a single server or multiple servers running different versions while using the same db.

Such as running v5.0 Hotfix 10 and v6.0 Official.

I have done this from time to time in a Lab environment and a 'pre' production environment. Checking to see how common this is within the community.

Comments

• Options
    Adam_DzyackyAdam_Dzyacky Product Owner Contributor Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't because different portal versions deploy different versions of Stored Procedures within the ServiceManagement DB which somewhat negates the version changes between portal - sure there are the changes in JS and the actual web app between versions, but this difference in files/version stored procs was never worth it to me as it would open its own dead-end troubleshooting scenarios IMHO.

I've always ended up having to do two separate DBs, to get two separate portal versions, but still point them at the same SCSM CMDB backend (or copies of SCSM on a different DB with regular restores/refreshes to a dev SCSM instance) in order to achieve said pre-production environment.
  • Options
    Joe_BurrowsJoe_Burrows Cireson Devops Super IT Monkey ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't because different portal versions deploy different versions of Stored Procedures within the ServiceManagement DB which somewhat negates the version changes between portal - sure there are the changes in JS and the actual web app between versions, but this difference in files/version stored procs was never worth it to me as it would open its own dead-end troubleshooting scenarios IMHO.

I've always ended up having to do two separate DBs, to get two separate portal versions, but still point them at the same SCSM CMDB backend (or copies of SCSM on a different DB with regular restores/refreshes to a dev SCSM instance) in order to achieve said pre-production environment.
    +1

I usually see these deployed across separate DB's. Not to say that it wont work you just may run into issues with the differing versions of website files and DB SPs.